Tuesday, February 9, 2010

What is the difference: Natural vs. Organic?

This past weekend I skipped the regular farmers market and opted to go participate at a little Valentines gift fair in what I would consider to be a very unusual place, a local diveyish bar. While it’s not my normal type of venue nor is it really a place I hang out, I figured why not. Plus I was there with a friend so we could keep each other company.

When I arrived, I was really not sure how it would be as a venue and, honestly, I wondered if anyone would stop by my table at all. Soon there was a regular stream of people curious about my products and full of questions and adoration. Since they were not my regular customers, they had lots of questions for me that I was only too happy to answer with as much detail as they wanted.

One gentleman came by and was asked how I make the products and what I use. When I answered that I use Organic and Natural ingredients, his ears perked up. Of course the next question he had for me was: What is organic? and What is natural?

In the cosmetic market space these words are used very frequently but they mean very different things. There is more than one term that companies use when labeling their products Organic. To state that the product is organic means that at least 95% of the product is made from certified organic ingredients. The other label you may see is that the product is made with 70% organic ingredients. To be certified as organic, there are very strict guidelines that you must follow and certification is expensive and a bit restrictive for the smaller independent company to achieve.

The term natural means that the product is as close to its natural state (how you find it in nature). It is kind of hard to label the final product as natural. Once you add lye to the oils and other additives to create soap, it no longer resembles what you would find out in nature. Lotions and creams contain water and for the safety of the consumer, preservatives are added which do not necessarily occur in nature but without it the product can become harmful.

For Trés Spa, I use a variety of raw ingredients. Many of them are organic certified. Some of the additives are what are considered to be “food grade” meaning they are safe enough to eat. And yet again, some of the ingredients are considered natural. One day, perhaps I will have the extra funds to get the organic certified label, for now I am happy with following the best guidelines to bring the most healthy and wholesome products to my customers.

For more information about the Trés Spa products, please visit our website at www.tresspa.com

No comments:

Post a Comment