Wednesday, April 27, 2011

How do I pick a good moisturizer?

Honestly, when I was a kid I didn’t think anything about skin care. I was blessed with clear skin and the occasional acne break out got zapped with good ole’ rubbing alcohol and off I went. Life was simpler then. I found as I left my teens and entered into my twenties, things began to change. It was never drastic, just a slow changing process and now as time has progressed even farther I can appreciate the differences that time has afforded me. Now I would never think of doing what I did when I was a kid and I understand so much more about the natural remedies my grandparents had been teaching me all those years ago.

By the time I was looking at the tail end of 20’s and looking to welcome my 30’s, my skin needed just a bit more attention than simply showering and go. I needed the occasional aid of a really good moisturizer. But how do you pick a good one? Great question!

The answer is, it depends on you and your personal preferences and are you willing to read the label for yourself?  The questions you ask for yourself will help you in narrowing your choices.
  • Decide if Organic is important to you. If it is then check to see if at least 50% - 75% of the ingredients are organic. If only one ingredient is organic, then it’s a nice start but you may find other formulators better suited for your needs.
  •  Are you looking for particular oil? I use a variety of oils and they vary depending on the topical application. One oil I am strongly committed to using is Hemp Oil. I have been using it for years and it is an amazing oil that is rich and extremely eco-friendly. You can read more at my Blog: What’s the benefit of Hemp Seed Oil in skin care products?
  • Are you looking for a solution to a need? I get allot of people looking for something to help dry skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema. Since I put Hemp Seed oil in just about everything I make, my products tend to be very attractive. I use other oils as well for a multitude of reasons, each one helping strengthen the other.
  • ·         Are you looking for products that are ALL Natural? Not nearly or mostly or kind of, but all natural? Then you can narrow down your selection even further. You may see allot of adds for products that boost this or that and eliminate this or that, but those ingredients come out of a test tube. Don’t get me wrong, nature is powerful and it can be quite potent. But it has a price that many formulators find too costly and to make stronger margins, they use less expensive and mass produced ingredients.
  • Do you care if the scent is a synthetic fragrance or are you looking for only pure essential oils? I tend to be far to sensitive to fragrances so I avoid synthetics. But if you must have that funky fruity strawberry banana mango ag go go – then you cannot get that in nature. Sorry! Even many of the floral scents like Lilac, are not available in essential plant oils. It can only be recreated in a lab with synthesized chemicals. Too bad really, I love Lilacs.

Now as far as how I would go about selecting a moisturizer? Well I use Très Spa products that were formulated using only plant based oils and essential oils so I covered all of those questions. But which on in the family do I use? Here is what I do. First I consider the area I am intending it for. If it is my face and neck area I would use facial oils, creams and even hydrosols.  I prefer not to use lotions although I will if that is all I have on hand. If it is for my rough tough feet, then I like to slather on the butter as long as I don’t have to do much walking for the next 20 minutes. Give it time to absorb in. As far as the rest of me, I bounce between lotions, butters, body oils, mists, and the residual oils from my body scrubs.  (When I formulated the body scrubs I used oils that filled more than one purpose and for good reason. They not only hold the exfoliates together in a suspended state, they are excellent at allowing for a smoother application to the skin as the oil melts at the touch of your skin, and most importantly they are all oils I use in the moisturizing products. )

A mention about preservatives – OK so maybe you did or maybe you didn’t notice that I simply did not bring this up. If you have a product that contains water, you need to preserve it. The amount of preservative in the final product that is applied to your skin is so minute it is hardly worth mentioning. You expose yourself to far more damaging things by simply spending a few hours in traffic a week. How about that walk in the city park? It is amazing to me that a very political highly charged well funded from big business special interest group has so many under the belief that they are facing such extreme danger with their cosmetics. Ask yourself if you ever see them talking about dosage/exposure amounts or if their papers are pier reviewed. Just because I say I have a database of stuff, doesn’t mean my database is right or accurate, but then truth usually does not make good press, does it. It’s rather boring reporting that things aren’t bad.

To see Très Spa’s line of skin moisturizers, visit our on-line store

No comments:

Post a Comment