Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Lessons I learned from being a Marathon Runner : 2 Learn to read the signals and trust your instinct

The other day I was feeling just a bit sad. I had finally ended a business relationship that had been going on for over a year. Now don’t get me wrong, I was glad to have closure. I had never wanted to relationship in the first place and had only acquiesced to enter into it because a friend of a friend wanted me to. Yes, I went against my instinct and said OK.
From day one, it had always felt a bit un-natural and awkward and it was always disjointed from the rest of my business. For a small company just starting up, disjointed fractions can easily become neglected relationships or at worst drains on resources. No matter how you slice it, the cards showed an ill fate from the start. But I trudged ahead and we both tried for over a year, but in the end it wasn’t working for either one. So we broke up. On Valentines of all days!

So what do you do when you’re feeling sad, lonely, or depressed? I found myself reaching for my running shoes. It is as if they were calling to me (a fact I find amazing). I have not been running for years! Actually my last Marathon was the San Francisco Marathon in 2008 and my last Half was Disney World shortly after. I have no real good excuses as to why I stopped, I just did. But on this day, for some reason buried in my subconscious, I knew I needed my running shoes and I needed to spend time with the road outside my door.


So I followed my instinct and donned my running shoes and headed out the back door. The air was crisp and fresh from the rain that had fallen earlier in the day. The sun was just beginning to set so the lighting was perfect. As I began my walk, my mind began to wander and with each foot fall it became clearer and clearer that my instinct was right. This is where I needed to be.

It did not take long for the old rhythm to set in (at least the power walking rhythm). Fast, well placed steps and cool crisp air whipping my face. Instead of focusing on the severed relationship, my mind went to a meditative state. I began to become keenly aware of my surroundings and most importantly, my direct sensations. I was aware of the sinews as they extended for every stride, the impact as the heel of the foot hit the ground. The feel of the shoes (well worn now) that wrapped around to cradle the foot at every angle. The rolling action as the weight shifted from heel to rounding the toe to push off for the next stride. The gluts liberating release as the toe lifts off the ground preparing for the next swing and contact. The feel of the muscles tightening in the torso to help absorb and support as the waves of shock traveled from ground to head. Attention to posture: Head held high and eyes gazing forward with my shoulders back. Perfect. Now it’s time to check the breathing. Is it deep and steady? Am I gasping? Is the air labored? Are my lungs filling with a “belly breath” or is it shallow? Do I need to slow down? Speed up? Can I push harder? How does my heart feel? Working too hard or ready for more?

With all of the miles I shared with these shoes on the road training and running in Marathons, this was the meditation that is practiced the most. It is amazing how fast the body and mind remember and fall right back into sync. Even if the mind wanders from time to time, this is always playing in the background and focus comes back to it regularly. Constantly checking in with my sensation and intuition then following the direction it gave me.

This is the most important tool in training, learn to listen to your internal guidance and heed the signals. You will know when to push and when to pull back by listening to your internal guidance. I like the way Shakespeare had Polonius explain it to his son as he was imparting training to him before he left home;

This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.

Hamlet Act 1, scene 3, 78–82

Now don’t get me wrong, I believe firmly in learning from others that have gone before you and I hold in very high esteem those who are trainers and teachers. I talked with many experts and read lots of articles and even joined a running group (although I never ran with them, but I loved the e-mails). In some way, they too were there with every foot fall. But, when the rubber hits the road, you must know how to take all of that mentoring and put it in proper perspective. It can influence you and help to shape you, but in the end, you must stand on your own, listen to your internal signals, and make the call. You must be true to yourself.

By the end of my quick 2 miles I felt like a new person. A smile on my face and my heart felt ready for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment